Building a custom home or undergoing a remodel can be an overwhelming process. Even for savvy consumers, it is a costly and time consuming endeavor. In order to guarantee the minimal amount of frustration, here are some reasons it makes sense to hire a licensed contractor:
- A licensed contractor has undertaken the necessary steps and has the training and experience to obtain a contractors license. As part of this process, the state licensing board looks into their background and has approved that they applicant meets their strict performance and ability criteria.
- Licensed contractors are obligated to carry worker’s compensation and liability insurance which protects the homeowner from putting their property at risk in case on an on-the-job injury
- Licensed contractors will coordinate the correct permits and have the ability to process and sign for permits on your behalf
- Licensed Contractors are bonded and in the unfortunate instance there are problems with your project you have the ability for compensation via the Contractors Recovery Fund
- For projects over $1000 and/or requiring a building permit, a contractors license is required by law
- A Licensed contractor has the relationships with other construction vendors – electricians, plumbers, roofers, etc – and will be able to insure that you deal with reputable sub-contractors or that they hire reputable subs on your behalf